EMDR Therapy in Colorado Springs
Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing Therapy
When people are experiencing distress in their lives and can’t find a way to fix it on their own they end up coming in for EMDR Therapy. Sometimes events happen in a person’s life and he/she struggles to find a way to integrate that incident. That event can become an unprocessed memory and get stored in the brain creating symptoms that are uncomfortable. Physical sensations, emotions, thoughts, and images associated with the event can get locked into the nervous system, and without treatment, may lead to distressing symptoms and behavior.
EMDR Therapy is designed to help a person identify and process these stuck pieces so that the symptoms can decrease and one can feel more alive and less distressed. EMDR Therapy helps facilitate the activation of the brain’s inherent system to process and integrate the information that got stored or stuck.
EMDR Therapy will not erase the memory; rather you will be able to remember the story without all the emotional charge that was distressing before the treatment.
Is EMDR right for me?
People tend to think that EMDR only helps people who suffer from severe experiences like auto accidents, war, sexual abuse and rape. If you have suffered from these traumas, EMDR might be very helpful for you, but other issues can also be helped with EMDR. The below are to name just a few.
- I find it difficult to be assertive in my relationships.
- I struggle with my body image thinking I’m fat when others think my body is thin.
- I overeat when I get emotionally upset.
- I feel anxious or depressed most of the time. I have the tendency to procrastinate and feel bad about myself.
- I have behaviors that sabotage my efforts to succeed.
- I have a low tolerance for frustration or anger.
- I have a difficult time concentrating.
- I have lost interest in activities that used to bring me pleasure.
- I fight a lot and experience a lot of anger.
- I abuse substances and have an addiction.
- I struggle with making decisions.